We would like to see designs of the cover of our book.
The book will be sold digitally as a PDF, and will be standard printer paper size at 8.5'' x 11''. Cover designs should be of the same size.
The cover should have the following incorporated in the design:
Title: The Data Science Handbook
Subtitle: Advice and Insights from 25 Amazing Data Scientists
--- please try to make the phrase "Amazing Data Scientists" more clearly stand out from the rest of the subtitle.
Authors: By Carl Shan, Henry Wang, William Chen and Max Song
**Optional design to include:**
We've interviewed 25 different data scientists. The first three on this list are very famous, and including them on the cover design somewhere is likely to attract our audience to purchase the book. However, we know that this is a long list, and would like to see creative solutions to including as many of our interviewees as possible.
Ideally, we would like to include everyone on the list below on our cover somewhere. But we are open to creative solutions that either don't include anyone, or include just a part of the list. If you do only include part of the list, please make sure to include the first three names.
People We've Interviewed:
**Themes and Impressions**
We would like our cover to appear like the following:
1. Very professionally crafted -- the cover should absolutely scream that it was incredibly diligently and thoughtfully designed. It should look very professional.
2. Sophisticated, but not academic -- our readers will be from backgrounds in technology, computer science and statistics. We would like to have a cover that acknowledges their background, but please do not have anything tacky or overly pandering to technology. For example, do not include any images of lots of random equations on a blackboard, as it is very overdone and nonsensical.
At the same time, the cover should not look like an academic textbook. The book is meant to be easily accessible so that anyone with an interest can read it.
3. Minimalist -- we'd like our design to have a few components, and not have a large number of different parts. If you can keep the font and coloring as consistent as possible, that would be great.
**How I will give feedback**
I will give feedback in the following manner:
1. I will be online at least twice a day to check new designs, and add comments and suggestions.
2. If I eliminate a design, I will provide a short, high-level reason why it did not fit my needs. Please try a new concept instead.
3. If I liked your design, I will provide you feedback at least 2-3 times.
**Do not do**
1. Do not include any images that you find by Googling "big data" -- most of them look terrible and made by amateurs who have no understanding of the intricacies of mathematics, statistics or computer science.
For example, please look at this website: http://bigdatapix.tumblr.com/
If you are thinking of including any images that it would belong on that website, do not do it.
2. No word clouds or pictures of 0's and 1's.
3. No images that look like they came out of the Matrix movie.
4. Do not make the cover look like an academic textbook.
**Suggestions for inspiration**
In the field of data science, some examples of powerful ideas you can explore incorporating into the design are: The Normal Distribution, Bayes Theorem, Regression, Classification
If you can find images or ways of representing those above concepts simply, that would be incredible.
You can find inspiration of images to include by looking up designs of statistics or machine learning textbooks. Although those covers look too academic for us, so please do not copy those designs down to the pixel.
I have also attached a very simple design to this contest that you can see for an example of a simple, minimalist design. It can be made more elegant and professional, so please improve upon it.