NOTES FOR FINALISTS: Thanks for all the great designs submitted. I wanted to include at least 9 of you, but alas, the rules only permit 6.
Many of the finalists have pictures or images incorporated into the design. Here's how I want you to think about it:
How do you convey "empowered", "smart woman" and "irresistible"? If you are going to use a stock photo, I would suggest a picture that portrays an educated, professional 30ish woman, smiling, and maybe with a raised eyebrow that conveys, "I now know a secret -- would you like to know what it is?" Ideas: woman in a suit; woman wearing glasses; woman with a knowing smile; woman with a pile of flowers in front of her (implication: many suitors find her irresistible)
Faces are attention magnets. If you're going to have a stock photo in there, make sure it has a face in it.
You may also try a picture of several women, preferably of different ethnic origins.
And please read the rest of the brief below. Clarity, contrast and legibility of the various elements is of the essence. Good luck!
For the contest, I'm looking for a front cover with the following info:
ABOVE THE TITLE: "#1-Rated Dating Book on Amazon for 180 Weeks"
TITLE: "The Tao of Dating"
SUBTITLE: "The Smart Woman's Guide to Being Irresistible"
AUTHOR: Ali Binazir, M.D., M.Phil.
FULL DELIVERABLES: a) full cover (front, back and spine) in jpg and pdf formats b) separately, front cover files in jpg and pdf formats in large, medium and small sizes c) square version for Audible.com
CONTENT FOR BACK COVER: book summary, UPC/ISBN and author bio/picture. Can use same format as prior cover; can put in ipsum lorem for the moment
CONTENT FOR SPINE: same format as the last cover (sample provided)
1) Most of the sales of the book are via Amazon, as an ebook. Therefore, the cover has to be LEGIBLE and eye-catching at the level of the tiny thumbnail. Right now, there's not enough contrast between the yellow letters and the red background for the words to pop. I'd like the words to pop.
2) In paperback form (6x9in), the title and subtitle should be legible from across a room. In other words, big and clear
3) The tagline across the top, "#1-rated dating book on Amazon for 180 weeks", should also be highly visible
4) The yin-yang heart logo is nice and evocative, and it takes up too much space right now. Would be good to stash it somewhere in one of the letters (maybe substitute it for the "O" in "Tao") or somewhere else on the cover
5) Is there a way to convey the image of an irresistible woman? Maybe it's a stock photo of a woman surrounded by a phalanx of suitors offering her flowers. Maybe it's a graphic of a woman with a knowing smile. Maybe it's a bunch of women, in a range of ages, all with big blissful smiles on their faces. The idea is that you, the female reader, want to BE that woman, and you can BECOME her by reading this book. If there's an image of a woman in there, she should represent the average reader of the book: 30ish and perhaps wearing business attire. This is not mandatory, but could make the cover more appealing if executed right.
6) Finally, and most importantly, the cover needs to look authoritative, like it came out of Simon & Schuster or Penguin. Understated is better than over-the-top -- remember, this is a book that talks about the simplicity of Eastern wisdom like Taoism, Zen and Buddhism. Spare and minimalist = good. It would be great if it reflected that ethos somehow.