Custom Logo Ipad Cases Make Excellent Corporate Gifts
Get your clients and employees attention with a logo product that they would never expect: a custom leather Ipad case or folio designed to hold gadgets, cables, notebooks, business cards and more.
Send the right message with a logo Ipad case that's designed to impress. Our quality, leather business accessories will show the value you place on your client's business. These also work as a great way to show appreciation for an employee's contributions to the team.
These leather Ipad cases are professional, functional gifts that won't be tossed aside or forgotten. They will be the perfect way to create a lasting impression, especially when you add your company logo.
iCarryAlls products are designed to meet a variety of organizational needs. Our Ipad cases and bags fit Apple iPads and MacBooks. We also carry cases for other devices like: Samsung Galaxy tablets, Kindle Fire devices and other top electronics. Most products can be customized with a company logo or with a name for a personal touch. We can even modify details of our designs to create a totally customized product for users with particular needs. No matter what your needs or budget, you're sure to find the right corporate gift at iCarryAlls.
Small orders are shipped quickly via DHL Express or UPS Air for fast turnaround when you're on a tight deadline. Large orders receive special handling, and you'll be informed every step of the way.
When you need an appropriate corporate gift for the executives and managers on your list, think leather. Think iCarryAlls. Contact Us today to submit a request with your needs.
FAQs About Corporate Gifts
Do you offer logo service or monogramming?
Amp up the promotional value of your corporate gift by adding your company logo. Your client or employee will be reminded of your thoughtfulness as they go about their daily business, and others who see this practical gift will be sure to remark on it as well. Your company logo will be blind debossed into the leather. This process indents the artwork down into the surface of the leather. No color or gilding is added. If you prefer, we may be able to add the recipient's name or initials.
Are product samples available?
It is not possible for us to send free product samples. If you want to examine the product before finalizing your decision, we recommend placing an order for the item(s). Take up to two weeks to evaluate the product and make your decision. We offer full refunds for items returned within the first two weeks. After that time, a restocking fee applies. If you require extra time, please contact us to discuss special arrangements. Refunds are not available for monogrammed cases or custom products, but we will supply mockups before starting the customization.
Is there a discount for large orders?
IcarryAlls is pleased to offer discount pricing for our corporate customers placing orders for 10 or more items. Please contact us for details. In order to provide a quote, we will need to know the estimated quantity and the model number for the case you are interested in purchasing. Submit the Corporate Order Inquiry form for assistance.
What are the payment terms for large orders?
Please plan to submit 60 percent of the fee up front. When manufacturing is finished, we will supply confirmation. The remaining 40 percent must be received before the merchandise can be shipped out. Unfortunately, purchase orders requiring credit terms cannot be accepted. We do accept PayPal, Visa, MasterCard and American Express for your convenience.
What is the cost for adding a logo?
There is no setup fee, but we do charge $15 per item. For large orders, this fee may be reduced or waived.
What is the process for customizing a case?
Please visit our Customization page for more information about designing your own style or modifying one of our products to fit your needs.
How long does it take to get the order?
In-stock merchandise is generally shipped within three business days. Large or custom orders may take four to eight weeks. Tell us your deadline, and we'll do everything possible to get your corporate order there on time.
Where are the cases made and shipped from?
Our products are shipped directly from our production center in China. We ship via DHL or UPS to most countries around the world. Please note that the purchaser is the importer of record and is responsible for any customs fees, duty, VAT and any other applicable taxes or charges. We do not collect these fees and cannot provide an estimate. Small orders may not incur any charges, but we make no guarantees as these costs are outside of our control. Large orders are shipped via freight carrier. We will make the transportation arrangements but may suggest that you use a customs agent.
Learn more about Corporate Orders here.
Contact Us to find out more.