Fonts, borders, etc are all open for artistic interpretation. Remember that this is something that should stand out and call attention in busy retail channels (IE airports,train stations). It remains first and foremost a fashion luggage accessory aimed at savvy business travelers. DO NOT TAKE THE MOCKUPS AS LITERAL REPRESENTATIONS OF HOW WE WANT THE ART TO LOOK. IT IS MEANT ONLY AS A POOR REPRESENTATION OF IDEAS. BE CREATIVE PLEASE.
5/22 Added in more placeholder photos for use on the front of the box.
5/23 We had an internal marketing discussion and have decided to try and narrow down the specifics on what we want so as to help you in your design efforts.
5/27 Specific list of requests for all designers to follow added.
1. The front of the box is on the left and the back is on the right. Sorry for any confusion from the original mockup.
2. We have decided to go with custom graphics instead of placeholder images or product photos. The front of the box should have two custom graphics. One of a man spilling coffee all over himself and the other of a woman running through an airport terminal. The woman has the holdmycoffee attached to horizontal handle bar on her wheeled luggage. The use of our logo, tag line, and icon definitely be prominent but feel free to mess around with the size of the elements. The tag line should be smaller than the name of the product though.
3. The back of the box should be three custom graphics. The graphics on the back of the box need to show someone's hands
attaching and using the holdmycoffee on the handle. IKEA style, comic
book style, retro style, realistic, surrealistic, etc. Your artistic
vision is very much encouraged.The art style should be consistent for the entire box.
3. Really feel free to use our logo, tag line, and icon all over the box. Try to use up most of the surface area of the box in a tasteful manner. There is such a thing as overkill through.
4. The front of the box should advertise the fact that the holdmycoffee works with baby strollers, shopping carts, wheeled luggage, and more. Using smaller graphics to describe all of these usage scenarios is one option. Text is another.
5. The tag line can be used as you see fit but the font and casing (lower) needs to remain true to the font used in the logo.
6. Remember that this is something that will be sold in the airports first and foremost. Our target audience is savvy business travelers first, and busy mothers second, and will be located on the same racks that sell ear plugs and neck pillows. The black packaging and the gold/yellow/brown logo go a long way to differentiating the product but the packaging needs to make you want to pick it up and explore what exactly holdmycoffee is. It needs to grab your attention without screaming that it is some cheap "made for TV product". It is a fashion luggage accessory and needs to come across as such.
One of the designers reached out to me for clarification on a few points. I re-posted the highlights here.
The size of the box is 279mm wide by 357.7mm tall (tallest and widest of the entire footprint)Photo realistic illustrations of the holdmycoffee are needed since we will have the box done before we have decent product photos.Some kind of line like "Never spill your coffee again!" can be used on the front of the box. Warnings and space for a barcode/upc are needed on the bottom of the back of the box. Make sure to leave room for them.The graphics/illustrations on the back of the box are necessary since we don't have product photos done yet. Attention grabbing words like "New" and "Introducing" can be used but aren't necessary for this stage of the contest.
We have been closely reviewing all of the great work you have been doing so far. Here are some very specific issues that we would like addressed by all of the designers.
1. This one is critical. User/case photos or illustrations are needed for the front of the box. We would like to see either stock photos or illustrations/graphics for a woman with a baby in a baby stroller, a person using a shopping cart, and a person using some kind of wheeled luggage. All of these pictures/illustrations need to have the holdmycoffee shown. The art style needs to remain true for both sides of the box.
ADDENDUM: The above user case images can be much smaller than the other images on the front of the box.
2. The front of the box needs to show a photo/illustration/graphic of a woman running/walking with the holdmycoffee, as well as two photos/illustrations/graphics of a man and a woman spilling coffee from a coffee cup onto themselves. They need to be smaller than the primary image of the woman using the holdmycoffee.
3. The primary image should be the largest element on the front of the box.
4. The primary image should have the holdmycoffee centered and easily seen against whatever background you see fit to use.
5. The primary image for the front of the box needs to suggest style, motion, etc. Very clearly send the message that you can travel quickly and safely with your coffee.
6. Strap, Snap, and Go should be highlighted in the direction section on the back of the box in a way that makes sense. Should show the connection between the word and the action/illustration for the graphic. Must be clear enough instructions for someone with no understanding of English to understand.
7. "holdmycoffee" is the name of the product and "strap,snap, and go" is the tag line. The distinction is critical. We don't want people to inadvertently think that the name of the product is anything but "holdmycoffee".
8. Use of textured backgrounds besides black should not take attention away from the rest of the elements or be visually jarring to the eye. Open to the idea if done properly but not suggested.
9. Don't overuse the logo elements. Too small and/or too often makes the box look cluttered. We are looking for a cleaner and more elegant presentation.
10. There are some grammar errors that I have seen cropping up in some of the designs and I know that I am the original source of said errors. I will be adding annotations going forward to address them.
Please personally message me if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. I will try to answer in as timely a fashion as possible. I appreciate all the work that you have done so far and look forward to seeing how you all will evolve your efforts going forward. Just a reminder that this stage of the contest isn't blind but the final stage will be and that I plan on selecting more than the standard number of finalists. This means you have a much better chance of ending up in this final stage than in other contests.
Thanks in advance.
Added a DXF of the box design so that you can more easily gauge the size of the fonts you would like to use.
Message to all designers.These are very directed concerns, ideas, requests, and conepts that need to be addressed going forward.
General:1. We are going to be presenting this product to an international audience and as such we are going to be trying to reduce the amount of superfluous text on the box so that people with a less that perfect understanding of the English language can still understand what the product does, what it can be used on, and how to use it.
2. The illustrated graphics for the user case photos (the baby stroller, the wheeled luggage, and the shopping cart) need to have the hold my coffee visible on each.
3. Use of the logo "holdmycoffee" should be formatted to be near the phrase "Never spill your coffee again!"
4. Use of the tagline "strap, snap, and go" should be formatted to be near the user case images on the front of the box and with the illustrated directions on the back of the box.
5. Some kind of wrap around graphical element could be used to draw attention from the front of the box to the back of the box.
6. Possibly adding a circle or some other kind of focusing element to the larger/centered presentation of the holdmycoffee on the front of the box. This is only an idea and isn't mandatory.
7. The logo elements from the icon (IE the motion lines to the left of the coffee cup) need to remain consistent throughout the design. Don't change/flip/invert/recolor/etc any of the logo elemets.
1. big product-in-action photo should show user in motion (walking/running), product should be shown against contrasting background. Needs to pop and be visible and easily distinguished from the rest of the image/package.
2. Ideas for the layout of images on the front of the box.
2a. Man/woman spilling coffee on themselves in the upper left part of the box and with the larger picture down below it to the right.
2b. The product is highlighted and centered before the images of the man/woman spilling coffee on themselvesRemember that the holdmycoffee needs to be large and centered no matter what type of formatting or image is used.
3. The image for the center of the box NEEDS to show a woman walking or running towards or away with the holdmycoffee in use on wheeled luggage.
1. The goal here is to remove as much text as possible (the instructions text for example). We would like to see 5 or 6 images on the back of the box illustrating the following steps.
1. Aligning the coffee cup so that the open hole of the lid is centered between the arms of the strap body and facing away from the strap that goes over the top of the cup.
2. The cup being strapped into the holdmycoffee.
3. One hand being used to secure the holdmycoffee while the other snaps one button into place over the handle of the wheeled luggage.
4. The other snap being closed.
5. This image can be in two steps. It needs to show the holdmycoffee hanging from the handle while the user is walking/running. This illustration needs to describe motion.
6. The illustrations on the back of the box need to be exactly that...illustrations. They need to be clear and pop against whatever background you see fit to use.
7. The layout for how you want to present the illustrations is up to your artistic vision but needs to remain consistent with the rest of the packaging.
I have added some new images below that should give you a rough idea of what it is we are looking for on the back of the box. Remember that we are looking for stylized images or illustrations.
Any question, comments, or concerns please message me directly.
Just wanted to let all the designers in the finalists that the composite image of the man and woman on the front of the box is something that I have asked for specifically. Please do not report each other for using that concept. Thank you.
The new text for the sales pitch on the back of the box is the following.
Built to last, holdmycoffee is dishwasher safe and made from durable, nylon-backed, neoprene. Never spill your coffee again. Attach holdmycoffee to luggage, strollers, shopping carts, walkers and more!
The disclaimer text is now the following
CAUTION. Handle Hot beverages with care at all times. Keep lid securely closed.PRECAUCIÓN. Maneje bebidas calientes con cuidado en todo momento. Mantenga la tapa bien cerrada.تنبيه. مقبضات المشروبات الساخنة مع مؤسسة كير في جميع الأوقات. إبقاء غطاء مغلق بإحكام. ВНИМАНИЕ. Всегда осторожно носите горячие напитки. Держите крышку надежно закрытой. 小心。处理热饮小心在任何时候。请将盖子关紧。